Thursday, November 8, 2012

Post-election violence at Ole Miss



Angry students at Ole Miss in Ocford, Miss., burn an Obama/Biden poster after the results of Tuesday's election were announced by the media.


I sent my pre-election blog out to all four of my classes on Monday.

It expressed some trepidation at what might happen after the election if the radical far right fringes of the country heard that President Obama won re-election by winning the electoral vote but losing the popular vote. When I discussed my blog on Monday, I encountered at least one or two voices of skepticism about my worry about violence.

I don't want this to sound as if I am telling those who doubted me "I told you so." But please read the first link to get a sense of why I was worried and why we need to be vigilant about this kind of racist behavior among some Americans. It IS a tangible threat to our safety and to the smooth running of our democracy.

Thank you for reading!


http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2012/11/07/for-the-radical-right-obama-victory-brings-fury-and-fear/


No comments:

Post a Comment